N66083, 2005 Cessna 172SP Skyhawk
N66083 is the flagship of, and the most capable airplane in, the OSFC fleet. The Club purchased it in December of 2009 through a Cessna dealer in Seattle, WA. It had about 1100 hours on the airframe and engine when it arrived in Corvallis. Previously, it had been privately owned.
Not only is N66083 a fine aircraft for VFR flight, but with its powerful Garmin G1000 "glass" panel and Bendix-King autopilot, it is a superb airplane for instrument flying. Navigation is by WAAS GPS or using either of two VOR receivers. Just enter the waypoints for your flight plan and let the airplane fly itself to your destination. Along the way, monitor weather using the XM satellite weather on the MFD and take advantage of the electric trim. On arrival, let the autopilot fly an ILS approach right down to minimums, or choose an LPV GPS approach or a VOR approach—your choice.
If safety is a priority, consider that most of the critical avionics components in the G1000 system are duplicated, including the displays, GPS, COM, and NAV receivers as well as the microprocessors that drive the system. In the unlikely case of a complete electrical failure, the backup battery gives you plenty of time to get to an airport and make an instrument approach. It has AmSafe Seat belt air bags for both the pilot and co-pilot seats and a 180hp O-360 Lycoming engine. Need we mention the four plush leather seats?
- Nav III avionics, including:
- Garmin G1000 all-glass avionics suite
- King KAP 140 2-axis autopilot with altitude pre-select
- GDL69 satellite weather datalink
- Backup airspeed, AI, altimeter
- Pilots Operating Handbook
- N66083 Weight & Balance
- Cessna 172S NAVIII KAP140 2004-2007 Pilot's Information Manual (part# 172SIMAUS): Google Search, esscoaircraft.com
- G1000: Cessna Nav III Manuals
- VFR and IFR Cockpit Checklist and Flight Planning Assistant, Cessna 172S/SP NAV III Skyhawk from ProPilot Checklist
- G1000 PC trainer (simulator) from Garmin
- KAP 140 Pilot's Guide
- ASA G1000 Course
- Sporty's Garmin G1000 Checkout Online Course & DVD Course
- King Schools G1000 Course
- Max Trescott's G1000 Glass Cockpit Handbook with WAAS